The trend of cornrows causing hair loss is a fairly new one. A cornrow is a hairstyle that has been around for ages. It spans across all genders and ethnic groups. Nothing is as pretty as an intricate web of braids. Because no two cornrow styles are alike, many people are choosing to express themselves through braiding and rowing. Even though the cornrow style is nice, it comes with its own challenges. One of the major problems that are associated with braiding is hair breakage. In addition to breakage, one can experience dull, frizzy, and dry hair as a result of wearing cornrows or braids. To avoid losing hair when using the cornrow hairstyle you should follow the tips below:
Best Cornrows Braid hairstyles
- Choose your stylist keenly. As with any work of art, braiders vary in their levels of expertise. It is important you choose one that has been practicing for some time. You should also insist on seeing sample photos of the stylist’s work. This will give you a rough overview of the level of experience and expertise of the stylist. This will help to avoid bad braiding that may end up increasing your hair loss.
- Have the proper length of hair before braiding. Your stylist should have enough hair to work with so that he/she doesn’t end up giving you a very tight braid. For instance 10 cm should be enough for a straight hair length whereas 5cm should be enough for curly hair.
- Wrap the hair to prevent breakage. When you go to sleep, your hair comes into contact with your pillow and the movements cause friction and tension will be applied to your braids. This can result in considerable hair loss. To avoid this predicament, simply wrap your head with a cloth before sleeping.
- As with all hairstyles, it is important that you do not keep braids in for too long. This can increase breakage and in some cases even result in a permanent hair loss. This can result in a condition known as traction alopecia.
- Cleanse your hair properly. This will prevent bacterial and fungi infection which might lead to dandruffs and the development of bald spots in your head. It is important to perform minor cleaning of your hair daily and a thorough cleaning weekly. Use the appropriate chemicals or oils to aid in lubrication especially in the scalp.
- Follow the hair stylist/artists instructions.
Since the braider is experienced in handling various kinds of hairstyles, you should follow their advice keenly. For instance, if she tells you to have your hair redone after a certain duration, then you should do so. This will keep your braids neat, looking fresh, and halt any hair loss.The treatment for hair loss due to cornrow braids is varied. You can apply Minoxidil on the scalp area for a few months and see if there are any noticeable changes or alternatively seek a doctor’s advice. The other natural methods such as use of herbal medicines can also be tried as they have fewer side effects than chemicals.
In the final analysis however, it will be up to you to choose the appropriate method that will prevent hair loss from cornrows. Since cornrows greatly enhance one’s appeal, they shouldn’t be the cause for your hair loss.